Call for comments on IRCC nominees

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 17 03:23:48 UTC 2009

On 17/12/09 11:23, Steve Stalcup wrote:
> People change, grow, etc... the community changes and grows.  I have
> to admit, I have become jaded in many ways about how things work.  The
> people who are selected to be on this council need to be energetic
> about making real change.  There has been damage done due to a certain
> member of the IIRC - and people who are smart, energetic, and ready to
> do some REALLY hard work to get things working right are the people we
> need on the council.  We are guests of freenode, and they are really
> amazing at dealing with our (Ubuntu's) needs - they go out of their
> way when they don't have to, and they get people like ekly and hobbsee
> telling them how to run their own network.

Please leave me out of this.  That was also a cheap shot.  I'm sure
everyone appreciates freenode, even if they do not approve of how it
runs at times.

For what it's worth, being a long-time member of IRC, i'd say the
council needs new blood, and people who will make the changes who will
need to be made.

I think the rifts are far too deep with some of the long standing
members of the previous IRCC for the ops team, and the irc population
that has been around for a while, to be able to fully trust the team.
The various perceptions that have come up on these, and other threads on
-irc, clearly run quite deeply, and are held by more than one person.
My gut feeling is that the IRCC will not be able to overcome these
perceptions unless those who were involved with them are not on the
council.

Also, I think that it's completely valid that people should be able to
send nacks, as well as acks, in a professional way - you either allow
that, or you have the approving & silent votes, where the consensus is
clearly approving, and it is assumed that everyone else didn't want to
vote.  This is done quite well in the MOTU process already.

Hobbsee