Renewed call for nominees - IRC Council

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 6 11:17:47 UTC 2009

I've been asked to clarify the reasons why the Community Council has
asked for some more nominees.

Before the renewed call for nominations, we had four nominations for
three open places in the IRC Council. So, in theory we had sufficient
nominees to fill the places, but having four nominees for three places
is not what we regard as a healthy pool of people to choose from in a
community like this. It might be understandable in an area of the
community with not many contributors or a council that is just getting
started, but from an evolved community with lots of contributors like
the Ubuntu irc community, we'd have expected a lot more nominees. By
way of comparison, for the LoCo Council election recently we had 17
nominees for two places. Although the LoCo community is bigger than
the irc community, the size of the irc community is such that we'd
still have expected more people come forward. So we decided to prolong
the call for nominations and make the call ourselves to demonstrate
that we considered it an important time from the point of view of IRC
governance.

I hope that the community will see this as a positive move and that
many more people will consider putting themselves forward in this
important time for IRC governance.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org