WatchBot

Lorenzo J. Lucchini ljlbox at tiscali.it
Thu Apr 2 13:43:16 UTC 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 04:28:33 Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op maandag 23-03-2009 om 00:32 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Lorenzo J.
>
> Lucchini:
> > At the time being, "bad" categories for #ubuntu, #kubuntu and #ubuntu
> > +1 are:
> > [...] Religious, [...]
>
> Would that also trigger on e.g. http://www.ichthux.com/ or
> http://www.ubuntume.com/ or are those whitelisted?

Well, not currently, because the "Religious" category has been disabled as I
switched to slightly different filtering... but in principle, it would
trigger.

> Or what if people point to documentation for some bible software?

It's tough. It's the reason why I removed other categories - people would
ask "How can I access site xyz? It doesn't work in Firefox", and of course
that would trigger it.

One possibly way of working around this could be to whitelist
the "Science/Technology" category, so that if a site belongs to it, then any
other "bad" categories won't matter.

Still, false positives are unavoidable, and I'm thinking about removing the
in-channel message to avoid confusing people and/or simply giving a warning
in the monitor channel rather than actually calling !ops.

It's clear, in any case, that an op should always manually check a posted site
for bad contents - certainly never bad only based on a bot warning! (or I'd
have made the bot ban automatically to begin with)

by LjL
ljl at ubuntu.com