Request for the removal of IRSEEK bot from all ubuntu channels.

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Mar 12 22:45:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:32 +0100, Lorenzo J. Lucchini wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 02:57:42 Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'd like to request the removal of IRSEEK from all ubuntu channels that
> > it is currently in.
> >
> > The reasons for this are as follows:
> >

> > * We seem to be getting very little gain (in fact, none), from IRSEEK.
> > Again, if people wish to grep the entire irc logs, they'll wget them
> > from irclogs.ubuntu.com, then grep locally.
>
> That is certainly much more cumbersome, both to the user and to the logs
> server (imagine... poor server!), than a search engine like IRSeek is.
>
> Furthermore, our own logs obviously only cover Ubuntu channels. If you wanted
> to make a comprehensive search on a certain topic, you'd have to track down
> every logs source you are potentially interested in - something completely
> impractical (as the complexity of the WWW easily shows), and the entire
> reason why the "search engine" concept has become popular on the Internet.

Then again, i expect if someone wants "comprehensive search on a certain
topic" they'll use a real search engine to start with (eg google or
yahoo.)

> > * No one has disputed the logs from irclogs.ubuntu.com, therefore people
> > appear to trust that it has not been tampered with, which suggests that
> > we don't need another public mass-logging bot

Its quite posible most people didnt know about it.

> >   In the event that someone *does* seriously dispute the validity of
> > irclogs.ubuntu.com, then it makes sense to look at additional bots again.
>
> I'm sure that will not be the case; however, IRSeek simply tries to achieve
> something *else* than irclogs.ubuntu.com.

Personally i dislike 3rd partys logging and putting it on the net, in
the same way its usually considered rude to put your personal logs
online.

I dislike ircseek being in the channels.
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor