Request for the removal of IRSEEK bot from all ubuntu channels.

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 12 01:57:42 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I'd like to request the removal of IRSEEK from all ubuntu channels that
it is currently in.

The reasons for this are as follows:

*  Various people have expressed views about privacy, and not wanting
their content being used for profit.
    - While i do not think this is valid - companies can still wget from
irclogs.ubuntu.com, i see the privacy point.

* We seem to be getting very little gain (in fact, none), from IRSEEK.
Again, if people wish to grep the entire irc logs, they'll wget them
from irclogs.ubuntu.com, then grep locally.

* No one has disputed the logs from irclogs.ubuntu.com, therefore people
appear to trust that it has not been tampered with, which suggests that
we don't need another public mass-logging bot, which appears to have no
privacy policy, or policy saying what it does with the data it collects.
  In the event that someone *does* seriously dispute the validity of
irclogs.ubuntu.com, then it makes sense to look at additional bots again.

Thanks,

Hobbsee