Request to using historical *ubuntu* irc logs from irclogs.ubuntu.com

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Sun Jun 1 20:13:41 UTC 2008

Ariel Berkman wrote:
> Dear operators,
>
> My name is Ariel Berkman, I represent IRSeek, and I am contacting you to
> request your approval/blessing for using the historical IRC logs from
> irclogs.ubuntu.com.
>
> (A short reminder: a few month's ago due to the requests/demands of the
> Freenode network operators, and *ubuntu* operators, we have removed all
> historical IRC logs. Shortly after, we have been granted the approval to
> archive several *ubuntu* channels, and other channels - upon approval.
>>From that moment on we are archiving only channels that have opt-in to
> our service).
>
> The reason we would like to use older logs is because we see that a
> significant amount of the users have been searching for Ubuntu related
> content and we think that having more such content would benefit the
> users.
>
> I have contacted nalioth approximately a month ago concerning that
> issue, but haven't heard back yet.  Today, I have spoken to PriceChild
> on a different matter, and he had suggested that I contact the list as
> well.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read the email and consider our request.
>
> Ariel Berkman and Eran Cohen.

Personally I think the idea is not a runner.

I have no problem with current logging, However logs from before the
time that the agreement was in place when some people walked away due to
the presence of IRCSeek. I may not agree with them but I think allowing
this would be bad.

This is pure opinion and a -1 if anyone is interested in mine.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley