Staff

Matt Darcy ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 09:18:12 UTC 2008

>> Now for the juicy bit...
>>
>> I don't think its a good idea. Banning someone in every single channel
>> is "making a point". Demonstrating our power. Its just over the top!
>> Rather than "making a point", I think we should "deal with the
>> situation". The former tends to aggravate the people on the other end to
>> bad situations, making things a whole lot worse.
>>

> If this is the case, isn't requesting staff to k-line someone
> essentially the same thing (over the top), and the issue should be dealt
> with by talking to people, rather than trying to get them kicked off the
> network?
>
> I don't necessarily think that my idea is the best solution to the
> problem, but it is a potential solution. I would like to hear some
> constructive criticism, and for people to think about other possible
> solutions, rather than just directing complaints at staff.
>
> Chris. (Seeker`)

It's a double edged sword.

eg: all official ubuntu channels are gonverned by the code of coduct,
therefore if a user is in blatant abuse of the COC in #ubuntu-1 why
should they be allowed into #ubuntu-2 and #ubuntu-3 to disrupt and
frustrate those channels. This situation is common amongst #ubuntu bans
being taken to cause issues in #ubuntu-offtopic (just an easy example).
This senario for me is a red rag to a bull for very specific minority
users, it would be helpful to have the ability to have a higher level
ban for clear trouble makers of the official ubuntu channels until
mediation can step in to try to resolve it, rather than allow other
channels to suffer, however does that mean that language slips,
miss-understanding or lack of awarness of the rules result in a
name-space wide ban, no not at all.

The majority of bans appear to be 24 hour minor infractions which from
what I've seen most people come back better from, then there are the
guys who just hop from ubuntu-channel to ubuntu-channel hopping the ban
as the staff between channels arn't tied up with the previous channels
situation.

It would be nice to be able to distinguish between the more common
issues and the less common trouble issues that disrupt (in my view)
other channels out of the blue for no reason.

Matt