Goodbye

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 29 13:34:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> What, exactly, is the problem, with a community member deciding to stop
> providing services from their personal machines, when they've never received
> help from Canonical in any way over it, it's at their expense, and they do
> not agree with that section of the project anymore?

In my opinion, it's a problem. Stepping down considerately means that
when you step down, it is important to ensure that procedures are in
place to enable minimal disturbance to the community. This principle
applies equally to Canonical employees and community members. For
example, if I stepped out of Ubuntu, I know that there are certain
things in the documentation team that would stop working, not because
no one else is capable of performing a particular task, but simply
because I have traditionally taken care of them; if I ever stepped
down I would consider it essential to make sure that a working
infrastructure was in place so that someone could take over the reins
immediately without causing any disruption.

I'm pleased to hear from your email that not much disruption took
place, but the tone of Dennis' message gave the directly opposite
impression.

As for problems with the hosting of the bots, if we can get a
constructive discussion of that going which identifies the issues I'd
be happy to help try and find a solution.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org