Ubotu failover setup

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 19 11:51:12 UTC 2007

Hiya,

I've been pondering about a good Ubotu failover setup for a while and
here's what I've come up with. If nobody thinks this is a terrible idea,
I'd like to implement it soon.

- N copies of ubotu run at N hosts
- The nicknames of all copies are linked to ubotu
- There is a fixed order of preference between them, with ubotu itself
  being leading
- Code and datafiles (except users) are synchronized automatically
- The copies do not have users and are in read-only mode (so no factoid
  editing)
- During normal operation the copies only exist in #ubuntu-bots
- The copies all run an extra plugin, FailOver, that will detect when
  ubotu or any copy leaves unexpectedly or comes back
- When a copy becomes the first preferred copy, because ubotu (and
  possibly other copies) are unavailable, it will join all channels
  ubotu needs to be in. It will not assume the nickname ubotu
- When ubotu is back in a channel, the copy of ubotu will automatically
  leave it.

Thoughts, comments?

--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.