Reports of unfriendliness in the irc channel

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 17 11:53:35 UTC 2007

On ma, 2007-09-17 at 12:42 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> On 17/09/2007, Dennis Kaarsemaker <dennis at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On ma, 2007-09-17 at 08:22 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm prompted by this bug to start this discussion.
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/139932
> > >
> > > When we get such reports, I feel that it's important to discuss how
> > > they can be avoided, regardless of the specific rights and wrongs,
> > > because if people are getting a general impression that the irc
> > > channel is unfriendly, then it's a problem we need to solve, because
> > > the channel is one of the faces of the Ubuntu community, and
> > > significantly affects its reputation.
> > >
> > > What can be done to ensure that users who are unfriendly are taken
> > > aside and asked to improve their behaviour? Is anything currently
> > > done? If not, perhaps teams of regulars could be involved in such a
> > > task and some guidelines about how this could be done can be drawn up.
> >
> > Why are you assuming that the issue raised in the bugreport is actually
> > true?
>
> As I said in my original email, I'm not, and I actually don't think
> it's very helpful to try and get to the bottom of the rights and
> wrongs of individual cases. The fact is that we get complaints about
> this, and if we continue to promote irc as a help resource on the
> website, it's important to ensure that there are procedures in place
> which ensure that people are being constantly encouraged to be
> friendly and helpful, in accordance with the guidelines that are in
> place.

You get one bugreport and assume we don't have procedures? As member of
the CC you should be aware that there is an IRC council and we have our
guidelines. I'm sorry, but your mails seem very hostile to me without
any good reason. If you want to discuss things that are missing in our
policies or specific cases (which btw, that bugreport also doesn't
mention), please come to our meeting, which starts in 15 minutes.

> Strictness is easily confused with unfriendliness, sometimes because
> it is in fact unfriendly to be strict. If the business of the channel
> is an issue, I think we should talk about how that can be improved
> too.

Again, why are you assuming things need to be improved? We are strict
about things like being offtopic, flooding and disruptive actions. Not
about which type of support we give. The only 'improvement' possible,
making things a bit quieter, is to remove users. And we sure don't want
to do that...
--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.