Banning Idlers in #ubuntu-ops

Andrew Barber andrew.alex.barber at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:31:59 UTC 2007

On 14/10/2007, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at kubuntu.org> wrote:

> This has been in effect for a long time - longer than the IRC council
> has existed for.  Hence, it hasn't been listed in one of the meetings.
> Same with the DCC exploit handling, etc.
>
> This is because we often have an op saying that they're going away for a
> few hours/days/whatever.  It's not rocket science for would-be trolls to
> work out if there are ops around or not, and when they're not, to spam
> the channel.  Or to see various other things, and then attack the
> channels based on those.
>
> We have had multiple occurrences of trolls being in ubuntu-ops, and then
> attacking the channels based on what they read there.  To combat this,
> the policy of removing non-ops, or non-trusted/non-vouched-for people
> was put in place.  So far, this has worked very well - we don't have our
> decisions in #ubuntu-ops being used against us immediately.
>
> We cant know everyone, and suggest you introduce yourself if you're an
> op of a loco channel, etc.  If people don't know who you are (and we
> tend to ask around the people who tend to stay around in the channel),
> you'll get removed.
>
> The topic warning is in place to warn people about this.  I'm unsure why
> we're banning (or who was doing it), but a remove is usually the way to
> go - at least, until the person automatically rejoins it.  Obviously,
> for a client being set to auto-join the channel, just removing them is
> useless, so it changes to a ban.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hobbsee
> (one of the people on the pre-irc op council, making that particular
> decision)
>
> Dave Walker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've noticed one OP occasionally ban users he considers idlers in
> > #ubuntu-ops.  I am not one of those affected, but have had somebody who
> > has been contact me who is upset that they have been banned.
> >
> > The person who was banned is an OP in a LoCo channel and it would seem
> > apt, that this person is available in the Ubuntu OP's channel.
> >
> > The ban comment is laid as, "The IRC council reserves the right to
> > remove idlers from the channel".  I'm interested as to when this was
> > agreed by the IRC council and if consultation with non IRC council
> > members was conducted.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Dave Walker

If you use /remove [or /quote remove], that normally combats autojoin
scripts. It also is a friendlier way that /kick. (Nicer tone)

Also.. if we are introducing ourselves, I am AndrewB.
I am an ubuntu member and also a freenode helper [as seen by the cloak]. I
kick about in -ops because I report (often) about spammers and trolls.
I also constantly try to catalyze the trolls you get, as that seems to be
something that isn't done as often as it should.
I also test people suffering from the DCC exploit [though can't unban them],
it takes the strain off op's that are maybe too busy. Most of the time you
need to check a few times till they have success, and I have the time to do
so  so I may aswell.

So.. *waves*

--
Andrew Alexander Barber