Goodbye Cody Somerville

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 07:25:34 UTC 2007

keeping cody cc-ed so he knows what is going on.

On 1/24/07, Dennis Kaarsemaker <dennis at kaarsemaker.net> wrote:
> On wo, 2007-01-24 at 23:03 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
>
> > It is very clear to me that his punishment was because he took things
> > to the Community Council, not for any other offence.
>
> That most definitely is not true. The false accusations were merely the
> proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

Regardless if they were false or not, at the point he raised the issue
with the CC it became partly their issue, unless they choose to kick
it back down. Punishing Cody after he complained, looks like, in my
opinion, punishment for complaining to the CC. I cannot tell you how
bad that looks, regardless of the merit of his complaints.

> Rest assured that noone will be punished for raising issues with the CC.
> This would have happened real soon anyway. I've been waiting for weeks
> in the hope that his behaviour would improve. Apparently that's not
> going to happen.
>
> This decision is not a rushed one, I've been thinking about it for
> weeks...
> --
> Dennis K.

Regardless if you have been thinking about it for weeks, don't we have
an IRC council for this? Wherein yourself, Dennis, and Cody could
plead their case and we could hear the evidence? Quick actions only
inflame the issue, as has happened here. In addition, the action by a
single person, especially yourself, looks like the "retribution" cody
was so concerned about in his email to the CC. In retrospect
(hindsight being 20/20), somebody else should have done the actual
removing of Cody as then it would not have looked like (regardless of
what it actually was), a personal dispute between Dennis and Cody.

One of the issues that we need to bring before the CC is how ops are
made and unmade. I thought there was an IRC Council now, who has the
power to do this (barring exceptional circumstances). If there isn't,
I think we need one, as any decisions about op/de-oping people must be
made by consensus or we will end up here again.

Corey