State of #ubuntu-offtopic

John Vivirito gnomefreak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 02:47:47 UTC 2007

> I believe that the current state of #ubuntu-offtopic isn't the best.
>
> Discussions about "!offtopic4offtopic" subject take place and almost
> invariably end up in heated arguments, and the operators often do very little
> until the situation is out of hands.
>
> Myself, I am very wary of taking actions in #ubuntu-offtopic, because I am
> almost scared by the user reactions that the too often provoke. We have had
> an example just a few hours ago.
>
> In a general sense, I believe that it is good for #ubuntu-offtopic to be less
> strictly "guarded" than other channels, and I am all for "closing an eye" on
> little things. However, right now I strongly feel we need to create a turning
> point.
>
> Thus I propose that, for a period of time, we enforce guidelines and policies
> in a much stricter fashion than we are currently doing on average.
> * It is something very hard to follow discussions in #ubuntu-offtopic and to
> correctly identify the people who are misbehaving, so I propose that, after
> a "Discussion ends here, now!" warning (see the "!stop" factoid), people
> insisting should be banned or muted immediately.
> * Discussions that fall into the realm of "!offtopic4offtopic" should be
> stopped as soon as possible, *before* they even start to become heated.
> * Even though the CoC and guidelines and "!offtopic4offtopic" already apply,
> we cannot realistically expect people to undergo a drastic change in operator
> behavior with no notice, so I believe we should make it clear in the channel
> topic that the policies will be applied more strictly that it was usual.
> * Bans, mutes and other actions do not need to be particularly long, but they
> need to be issued firmly and timely.
>
> I strongly believe that it is very important for all concerned operators to
> come to an agreement about this topic, and to act "in sync". Wide
> inconsistency of operator behavior is very likely, in my opinion, to have a
> very negative effect on the channel.
>
> For this reason, I ask that all concerned operators state their opinion on
> this matter, possibly with a "yes" or "no" vote (of course, such a
> black-and-white vote without discussion may be a bit overboard, but I propose
> this since some discussion has already taken place on #ubuntu-ops).
>
> Only in a climate of agreement on the issue and mutual support among operators
> I believe what I have exposed can have a positive effect.
>

> by LjL
> ljlbox at tiscali.it

I am all for it. I would start with a 10minute mute for first offence
maybe than start banning. People in -offtopic tend to have the i dont
care what the ops say. People that have been around for a while have
seen this im sure. there are a few people that are repeat offenders and
i think as ops we need to agree and stand by your bans and your fellow
ops bans. We really have to get together on this becasue this could be a
great start to getting the ops all on one page. but regaurdless of my
rant ljl im all for it. Should this be applied only to #ubuntu-offtopic
since it happens to be the worst or most populated?
- --
GnomeFreak

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnVivirito
https://launchpad.net/people/gnomefreak