Ubuntu IRC Dispute - Sent to you as per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/AppealProcess

Bobby Coop coop at coopology.com
Thu Aug 9 23:29:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 08:23 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 08:15:04 -0400
> Bobby Coop <coop at coopology.com> wrote:
>
> > Look, I don't want to make anyone upset with anyone else, certainly
> not
> > if the reason for that is that they are helping on my behalf.
>
> <etc. etc. snipped both sides of the discussion >
>
> This seems to have turned into something of a repetitious loop of
> accusations and counter accusations...
>
> Please see this post as an attempt at a sensible resolution. I was not
> present, and cannot comment on the rights and wrongs of the situation,
> but
> I offer this as a possible way out:
>
> 1.) coop's ban is lifted, with the proviso that he is now fully aware
> that
> every op in #*ubuntu- *  channels now knows who he is, and will be
> watching
> his behaviour with interest.  ;-)
>
> 2) Both parties agree that the incident has been blown somewhat out of
> proportion, and both admit so on this list, without suggesting that
> this is
> the other party's fault.
>
> 3) Both parties agree that the other has the interests of the
> community at heart, and undertake to keep that in mind for the future.
>
> I noticed that no other ops have so much as made a sound on this list
> regarding the incident. I suspect that this is out of respect for
> Seveas,
> and I share that respect, but I see this post as a straightforward
> attempt
> at conflict resolution.
>
> Of course, any lifting of Seveas's ban should be conditional on coop's
> future behaviour - but from what I have read in the logs and here, it
> would
> seem unlikely that this will be a problem.
>
> Please don't prove me wrong, coop :-)
>
> It's a difficult balancing act for ops to show solidarity and back
> each
> other up, while at the same time trying to see users' point of view. I
> hope
> coop will take that into account, as well as the fact that Seveas has,
> for
> (at least) more than two years, been a driving force behind making the
> Ubuntu channels as good as possible.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter ( aka thoreauputic, when he can make it onto IRC these days )

I have no problem with any of that.  I apologize, Dennis (Seveas?), for
going off-topic in the extreme and not listening to the warnings that
you gave, in the #*-offtopic case, and for bringing that over to #ubuntu
and #*-ops.  Throughout all this, it's clear that you do a lot to help
the community in general and the IRC community in particular.  I'm sure
you were under the impression that I was out to cause nothing but
trouble and that you were only acting according to what you thought was
best.  I'm sorry that we butted heads and I hold no personal grudges
about it.  I hope you will grant me the same courtesy.

Anyhow, my apologies to the list in general for bringing this conflict
as far as it's come.

Bobby Coop