Irc Council - part 2 ( plus some more info to chew on )

Brandon Holtsclaw imbrandon at kubuntu.org
Mon Oct 23 11:49:42 UTC 2006

> And the second issue is also here:
>
> I want to propose the following people as operators:
>
> * elkbuntu
> * LjL
>
> Currently this still needs to go via the CC, but if we get this IRC
> council working ok, we can do this ourselves. So let's pretend we can do
> this ourselves and see how it goes ;)

Well I dont know how much we're "pretending" if you want +1's from us and not
the Council hehe but FWIW I personaly think elkbuntu will make a great
operator and dont know LjL so I'll let you all make an informed choice about
that.

One thing I would like to bring up about the IRC OP team that has seemed to
bit {us,me} in the rear once or twice.

I think the access lists for all the channels we moderate in needs to be
normalized per se ( this also brings up exactly what channels
are "official" , and what to do about LoCo channels ) we're growing to the
point where yes we have "areas" we work on for the most part and frequent
in , using myself as a "use case" I spend 80% or better of my time in
#kubuntu #kubuntu-devel and #ubuntu-motu, but there has been more than one
occasion where a moderator ( #ubuntu-devel and #ubuntu-offtopic come to
mind ) where a "normal"  operator isnt available and we as the Ubuntu IRC
team need to step in but cannot becouse none arround even though on the OP
team have ops in that ubuntu channel, Thus to make this long story short, the
IRC Op's Access list needs to be "normalized" on all Ubuntu official channels
where when ops are added or removed from the team they are added or removed
for all access lists

there are two minor problems I see with this but I dont think either one will
be a show stopper, first the easy question, the initial audit of the access
list to add OP members that are not on the list

the second is a bit more tricky but i dont see it as a major problem , it just
needs to be clear and agreed upon before the outset is "existing"
or "localized" ops in ubuntu channels , we have a cupple of use cases , one
using Riddell ( of Kubuntu core-dev fame ) is obviously qualified as an op
and effectively "runs" #kubuntu-devel but is not part of the IRC Operators
Team , and another use case might be loco teams like say the ubuntu-nl team
has an op but is not part of the team but obviously dosent warrent removal
from the access list, whom has the "authority" to add and remove "local ops"
in official channels ? i say leave it to the IRC Councel on a case by case
basis as there surely wont be many that will have ops but not be part of the
team ( or become part of the team ), just my 0.2c

--
Brandon Holtsclaw
imbrandon at kubuntu.org
http://www.imbrandon.com