Fwd: Mentoring New Ops ( suggestion from recent meeting)

Peter Garrett peter-garrett at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 22 01:28:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:06:25 -0400
"Cody Somerville" <cody.somerville at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't feel strongly about this but it does seem like a waste of man power.

Not intended to be a full-time position :) Just someone who is available
either on request or because the "mentor" notices help might be needed.

> Why not just make the wiki more comprehensive and then all we have to do is
> provide the link?

There's a difference between raw information and consultation. It can be
quite helpful to have someone in real time to say " OK it's easier/better
if you do X rather than Y " Also note that different people have different
learning "styles" - you might prefer to look it up and read it, others
might feel alone, and appreciate the human touch.

> This also provides the benefit of making sure everyone
> gets the same info.

As I said, it isn't so much a question of raw info - more like people who
can help integrate new members into the team, I guess. At least, that's
what I was thinking about when I suggested it. I don't think it  has to be
compulsory though - different people have different needs.

Peter