offtopic for offtopic etc

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Aug 20 13:17:42 UTC 2006

Greetings,

Yet another argument over valid topics for #ubuntu-offtopic arose today,
so I think we need to change the factoid and wiki to be more explicit,
since people are wanting to be idiots and look for loopholes.

People whine because the !offtopic4offtopic factoid is 'confusing' and
it really does leave a lot of loopholes for idiots to exploit.

I suggest the following changes. Alterations welcome.

Factoid:
Some things are inappropriate even for #ubuntu-offtopic. It is asked
that controversial topics such as war, race, religion, politics (unless
related to software licencing), gender, sexuality, drugs and illegal
activities are taken to other channels such as #politics and #off-topic.

Wiki:
All the #ubuntu channels are visited by people whose ages vary, and
whose tolerances of language and subject choice vary equally as much.
Please be considerate of everyone and keep all the #ubuntu channels
family friendly. For general chatter you can visit #ubuntu-offtopic, but
please be aware that there are limits to behaviour and subjects in here
also. When using any #ubuntu channel, please avoid the use of swearing
and take touchy subject choises such as war, race, religion, politics
(unless related to software licencing), gender, sexuality, drugs and
illegal activities to other more appropriate channels - #politics and
#off-topic are good examples of such.

I know I could just jump in and suggest the factoid change and make the
wiki change, but I think it's better to collaborate first, to avoid more
confusion/bitching/arguments. Also, I'm not an op, so I don't feel I
have the right/authority to decide what goes and what doesn't.

Feel free to comment or reject altogether.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com