Ubuntu install using custom kernel

dann frazier dann.frazier at canonical.com
Mon Jul 31 16:48:30 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Eric Desrochers
<eric.desrochers at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Context
> I have a problem with HP where Xenial installation failed[1] with Remote I/O
> error (EREMOTEIO    121) on DL380 Gen8 and Gen9.
> We tried with the most recent Xenial daily build, but the problem persist.
>
> As far as HP knows, all other OS types follow the standard and respect their
> maximum transfer setting.
>
> Goal
> In order to troubleshoot, I would like to be able to install Xenial using
> another kernel that the default one for instance a mainline kernel:
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4.14-xenial/
>
> Does "d-i base-installer/kernel/override-image", can do the job ? If yes,
> where the mainline kernel packages need to be store for "d-i" to grab and
> installed it ?
> Meanwhile, I'm still looking at it, but any piece of advise from you will be
> appreciated.

Hi Eric,
Switching out the kernel used at install-time would require d-i
customization/rebuild.

Would using an HWE kernel be a useful data point? If so, you could try
a 16.04.2 ISO (for 4.8) or a xenial daily ISO (for 4.10) & pick the
HWE option. (Also supported by MAAS).

 -dann