proposed change for hwe-detect

Kent Baxley kent.baxley at canonical.com
Fri Jun 27 16:20:54 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I'm looking for some feedback on a possible change to hw-detect with
regard to driver disk detection.

Currently, the driver-injection-disk script only looks for a
usb-partition device with an OEMDRV label.  This works great on Dell
12G PowerEdge servers that supply drivers via the Life Cycle
Controller or if someone plugs in a USB stick with an OEMDRV label.

However, if someone wishes to use the HP-iLO to make their driver
disks available, the installer will overlook the device because it is
presented as a whole disk, not a usb-partition.

The change to hw-detect will look at both the 'disk' and
'usb-partition' devices for the presence of an OEMDRV-labeled storage
device and then act accordingly.

I have a bzr branch attached to the bug that seems to so far work in
testing with both a Dell 12G server and an HP server that uses the iLO
to present the driver disk to the installer.

Please have a look and let me know if this will work or if there's a
different / better way to do this.

Thanks:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hw-detect/+bug/1332187
--