Ubuntu fails miserably on new machine

Terry Talim melanyor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 22:24:07 BST 2010

I have just received a new PC for home/office use. It is a sweet machine
boosting a Athlon 3000+ with an Asrock 939 Dual SATA II mobo. I have the HDD
connected to the Sata II connection and successfully installed windows XP on
it (it did require a driver though) but Ubuntu fails miserably on this
machine.

I did some research and I found out that it is most likely a problem with
the combination of a IDE DVD drive and a SATA Harddrive.
I have exactly the same problem with my own PC (a MSI NeoV-2 with 2 IDE
HardDrives and 2 IDE optical drives, SATA support is onboard but disabled in
the BIOS) so I doubt it is just a problem with the combination of these two.
I am extremely disappointed in Ubuntu for failing to fix these critical
bugs.

As we speak I am downloading the installation CD for Dapper Drake if that
fails I will have to keep Windows XP on those two machines. I suggest that
if Ubuntu wants to fix Bug #1
<https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1>they start by fixing this
bug.

Terry Talim