ISO Recommended Install Method for Old, Old Machine

Ryan Lovett ryan at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 8 05:35:01 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:52:27PM +1800, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad 750P that I'd like to have run Linux. It "should"
> meet the bare minimum for Ubuntu because it has a 486CPU, 36MB RAM and
> a 5GB disk.

Transfer the internal disk into an external USB enclosure, install Ubuntu
from another machine onto that external drive, (maybe via UNetbootin,
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) and then put the drive back in the
laptop. You can also just transfer the disk to another laptop if you have
access to one, and then transfer it back. Remember to install a suitable
486 capable-kernel on it before transferring it back to the 750P.

Otherwise, maybe you can get further if you had an external CD via PCMCIA?

> ... but I don't have a ton of time to spend on this.

There is a certain tipping point based on the usefulness of a machine
running Linux and the time spent in trying to get Linux running on that
machine and you passed that point around the time you subscribed to this
mailing list. :) But I encourage you to keep going!

Ryan