Wubi re-write for 9.04 (Was: Request for technical details on wubi)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:43:40 GMT 2009

2009/2/24 Evan Dandrea <evand at ubuntu.com>:
> Do note that Wubi has been completely rewritten in Python for the 9.04 cycle.

How far it is from completion? Looking at the bzr repository, the new
code seems to currently use hard-coded English strings, am I right?
Please do not include any new un-I18N:zed software to 9.04.

UI freeze is on March 5th, before which all the strings should be
translatable and in Rosetta. After that a freeze exception is
required: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#UserInterfaceFreeze%20Exceptions

On another note, I can't seem to be able to test it under wine
(today's daily live, wubi just loops on some extracting dialog),
unlike the previous version. It would be good if there is some way for
people to test the program also outside of Windows, for translations
especially. Of course not a goal as such, but if a way is found it
should be mentioned somewhere.

-Timo