Ubiquity plugins review

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 25 15:32:20 BST 2009

Michael has asked me to review merging his plugins branch of ubiquity
into trunk.

The conversion is not entirely complete.  While Michael has managed to
convert a number of ubiquity components into plugins, a number remain.
 Still, the code functions just fine without being completely
converted, and I think we should get what we can into the archive
before Feature Freeze hits.

Much like the oem-config merge, this is a very complex change, and I
would appreciate if Colin and Mario could have a look as well,
assuming they have time before the deadline.

My thoughts are as follows.

Having a ordering system codified in a prefix of the filenames strikes
me as making the tree look a bit more complicated than it is.
Personally, I would add a WEIGHT field alongside BEFORE and AFTER, but
I'm fine with the way you've approached the problem.

I think we need to do a better job of documenting the code.  For
example, it's not immediately clear to me why, in the main loop, the
dbfilter needs to be run in an idle handler.

I put a built version of this through its paces, testing the GTK, KDE,
and Mythbuntu frontends with it.

There's a slight typo at the bottom of the console_setup and timezone
plugins.  It should be InstallPlugin.install(self, target, ...)

import usersetup_apply is missing from scripts/install.py and
self.get_language needs to be replaced with self.locale.split('_')[0]
in kde_ui.

Other than that, it looks good.  Thanks a lot for your hard work on
this.  It already looks as though in addition to making the code more
flexible, these changes will make the code far more manageable moving
forward.