Fwd: rejecting ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 6 10:01:34 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Dylan McCall<dylanmccall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay! I have vowed never to say the word "scheme" again and I am now
> completely terrified of LISP, but it works!

:)

> Basically, just put all the SVG files you want in the ./icons/source
> directory, then run generate-pngs.sh to make it happen. It should Just
> Work!

Great!  We may want to end up using whatever Ubuntu selects for the
default icon set for the release, to remain consistent with the rest
of the distribution.  However, that strikes me as an easy enough
change, so I have no objections to sticking with this in the meantime.

Can you please push that to the madsrh-layout branch, adding the
necessary build-depends entries and additional machinery to the
packaging?

Do note that we cannot do this for the Mozilla Firefox icon, as its
license terms explicitly forbid modification [1].  I've started a
conversation with legal counsel on whether or not we can modify it at
runtime using CSS (as one possible option) without violating the terms
of the license.  Consensus among other developers is that yes, we can,
but this is a very delicate issue.

Unfortunately, I still have not found a way to do image blurring via
CSS, so we may not even be able to go down that road anyway.  I'll try
to determine a desirable alternative solution with legal though.

1: http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html