How compatible is Ubiquity with debian?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 22 12:34:44 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:38:10PM +0200, Endre Hoel wrote:
> I was wondering how compatible ubiquity is with debian etch/lenny/sid. I had
> some plans of making a debian live-cd with live-helper and include a live
> installer, and ubiquity came to mind.
>
> Quote from the package-site at ubuntu;
> "This is a simple live CD installer designed to integrate well with Debian-
> and Ubuntu-based systems, and to reuse code from d-i for ease of
> maintenance."
>
> I then just tried to install the .deb-package into the chrooted environment
> of the builded live-cd and used mostely lenny-sources except for those few
> dependencies lenny did not have. Anyway, ubiquity then started, but at the
> partition-part, it crashed.

In theory, Ubiquity's design is compatible with any Debian-based system.
In practice, as you've discovered, it has a number of dependencies which
currently only work on Ubuntu-based systems. It would be nice to fix
this by pushing necessary patches to Debian; however, some of them could
be considered rather nasty hacks which I would have a hard time asking
maintainers with no institutional interest in Ubiquity to carry, and I
haven't figured out how to resolve this yet.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/04/msg00504.html has some more
background information that may interest you about why this is not
straightforward.

Cheers,