Answerfile with netboot image...

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 20 12:04:00 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:14:15AM +0100, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:
> I wonder why the Ubuntu netboot image dosent have support for answer
> files (kickstart/seed) on CD and only via HTTP/FTP over network.

We try to keep the initrds as small as possible for a variety of
reasons, and so the netboot initrd doesn't have support for mounting CDs
in general. You could probably plumb it together, but it would be quite
tedious.

I think your simplest and best option is to use initrd preseeding, which
lets you produce a standalone image which doesn't depend on either a CD
or a network for preseeding. You set this up by installing your preseed
file as "preseed.cfg" at the root of the initrd. This does mean that you
have to unpack and repack the initrd, but that's not too hard. You
unpack by creating a fresh directory, changing into it, and running:

  zcat /path/to/initrd.gz | sudo cpio -id

You repack by running this from the same directory:

  find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9c > /path/to/new-initrd.gz