boot direct from an iso

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Tue May 13 23:02:18 BST 2008

Sorry if I sound pissed, I am. I've wasted about a day of searching
and trying to get this to work and it really gets me cranky when docs
lie to me.

I can boot direct from an iso now. Proper kexec params are the following

mkdir tmp
mount /dev/sdb1 tmp

kexec --load tmp/vmlinuz --initrd=tmp/initrd.gz
--command-line="boot=casper
debian-installer/custom-installation=/install/custom-installation
iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed vesa video=vesafb nosplash"

/dev/sdb1 is an ext3 partition on a USB flash drive. "vmlinuz" and
"initrd.gz" are extracted from the iso. ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
is at the root of /dev/sdb1.

"vesa video=vesafb nosplash" are AppleTV specific. "vesafb' does not
probe PC BIOS (got none) and I need vesa for X11.

ubuntu hardy desktop comes right up. And I'll crawl back into my hole now.