boot direct from an iso

( ``-_-´´ ) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Tue May 13 15:38:47 BST 2008

Olá Mario e a todos.

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 15:08:42 Mario Limonciello wrote:
> (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> > If you find out how, let me know, because ever since early alpha gutsy's, I cant do it.
> > I remember trying to do it on those alpha gutsy's isos, and got all those framebuffer problems, and couldn't finish my install.
> > I tried again on hardy alpha isos, but the hd-boot installer was unable to find the iso, even though it was on the root a specially prepared partition.
> >

> I saw some references to this in the casper source, but nothing
> definitive.  Do you recall what Alpha they stopped showing up?  We can
> look at bzr history to see what happened.

Unfortunately I don't.
But I have the date, I think.
According to the date of my gutsy screenshot, it was 22-Sep-2007.

These are the boot stanzas I use to boot from disc/cd, from the initrd image (at http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/installer-i386/current/images/)

title		ubuntu hd install root hd0,7
root		(hd0,7)
kernel		/hdboot/vmlinuz root=hd0,7 ro
initrd		/hdboot/initrd.img
boot

title		ubuntu hd install root hd0,4
root		(hd0,7)
kernel		/hdboot/vmlinuz root=hd0,4 ro
initrd		/hdboot/initrd.img
boot

this was from back when I had a boot partition and another to host the iso.
On Hardy RC I know it didnt work. Kept asking for the iso, and getting errors on mounted partitions.
--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net