Ubiquity, GNOME, and accessibility.

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 29 11:02:44 GMT 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:32:05PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:58:41AM EST, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Right, good point. If your mail filters are ready to get a substantial
> > mail flood due to being a bug contact for ubiquity, I'd be happy to add
> > you to the ubuntu-installer team so that you can do the ubiquity work
> > directly.
>
> if you think this would make sense, ok. However, at this point, my
> python is not very strong, so unless there are good examples elsewhere
> in the code that I can learn from, perhaps it would be better if
> someone was reviewing my patches.

There should be some examples, but at any rate being able to commit
directly doesn't mean you're forbidden to ask for review ... I've added
you to the team now.

> > I think there's a decent argument that ubiquity-dm should (be told to)
> > start the desktop environment bits as the 'ubuntu' user. It's not so
> > much that the security properties matter here, but it would simplify
> > casper's job as well as bringing the only-ubiquity environment closer to
> > the environment you get when you run a full live session and then start
> > ubiquity in it.
>
> The problem here, is that at-spi will not work accross users, i.e a
> root user running ubiquity, but the ubuntu user running at-spi.

(We talked about this at the distro sprint. For those following along
elsewhere, Evan is going to make ubiquity drop privileges for its UI.)

> > It looks to me as if the right answer would be to modify
> > ubiquity/bin/ubiquity-dm to fetch /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
> > from the ubuntu user's gconf database, and if it's set to true then
> > start at-spi-registryd before doing anything else GTK-related (so before
> > setting the background). Would you take care of this?
>
> Again, given enough example code to learn from, and given a pointer to
> where this needs doing, I can look into it.

Along with the file mentioned above, you should also look at
ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ui.py, which fiddles with gconftool-2 in
a couple of places and could serve as example code.

Cheers,