Building ubiquity from source

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 21 19:04:25 GMT 2008

Pieter van Zyl wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I am new to debian/ubuntu and Python open source world.
>
> I have checked out the ubiquity source code. Currently I am running on gutsy.
>
> I want to know how do I build Ubiquity from source? I have run configure, make
> and make install but this does not install it on your system.
>
> I am trying to customize the installer for a project.
>
> Or should I use ./autogen.sh? I have run this as well. Does not install it on
> your system.
>
> Or dpkg-dev?
>
> I am just trying to change something small for now like the welcome message.
>
> I am a bit confused and any pointers would be appreciated.
>

> Kindly
>
> Pieter

Pieter,

Ubiquity source is built using the standard debian build system (as
contained in the debian/ directory of the source).  In order to build
it, you will need to either build on a Debian/Ubuntu system, or add the
necessary debian utilities as contained in dpkg-dev.  You can then build
a source package using:

debuild -S -sa -us -uc

or a binary package using:

debuild -B -us -uc

You can see the man page of debuild for a little more information on
what these switches are doing.

A few other side notes:
Take a read over the relevant wiki pages:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallerDevelopment and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity

What sort of customizations are you looking to accomplish here?

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com