d-i compilation fails

سید حسن فیروزآبادی firouzabadi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:22:11 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 04:29:54PM +0430, سید حسن فیروزآبادی <firouzabadi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to create an Ubuntu alternate custom CD by following this wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD
>
> You do need to be careful that everything's in sync. Make sure that
> you're working entirely from Ubuntu packages, rather than doing
> something like trying to build Debian's debian-installer against
> Ubuntu's archive.
ٍEverything is from latest, stable, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, source and
binary packages repository.

> > When I try to compile debian-installer by running the following as root:
> >
> > make all_build
>
> That's not part of the wiki page you quoted. Could you list all the
> steps you've followed in detail?
In step 2 (2. Get DebianInstaller Binaries) of the wiki, It says you
can build d-i if you wish/need too. Since I prefer to build everything
myself, use as few binary packages as possible, and for some other
reasons, I prefer to build d-i myself. I follow the following wiki to
build d-i, as suggested in the original wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]
Here I list the steps I've taken in detail:
1. Create build environment:
   1.1. Install a brand new Ubuntu server 7.10
   1.2. apt-get debootstrap
   1.3. debootstrap gutsy /chroot_env
   1.4. mount kernel VFSs (pts, shm, proc, sys) and chroot to /chroot_env
   1.5. apt-get install build-essential debhelper debian-builder apt-build
   1.6. apt-build world
   1.7. apt-build install grub
   1.8. boot into /chroot_env by using pre-init, as described here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt
2. Create an Ubuntu custom CD by following http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD
   2.1. copy pool directory from a Ubuntu server gutsy cd to your
build environment /mirrors/cd/pool.
   2.2. populate your local apt cache with the packages you want to
include in the CD by (apt-build)ing them
   2.3. apt-move the to /mirrors/apt-move
   2.4. cp /mirrors/apt-move/pool /mirrors/cd/pool
   2.5. Instead of getting installer-i386 and downloading udebs
seperately, Build debian-installer yourself as described here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build
      apt-get source debian-installer
      cd debian-installer/debian-installer-20070308ubuntu20/
      dpkg-checkbuilddeps # and install build dependencies
      echo "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy
main/debian-installer" &> sources.list.udeb.local
      cd build/
      ln -sv ../sources.list.udeb.local
      make all_build

Although the error shows up in any given ubuntu gutsy system, I've
included my development environment creation process just for the sake
of completeness.