debian-install build errors from dependancies

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 17 23:25:47 GMT 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 10:41:48AM -0500, Luke wrote:
> Having made udebs from the 2.6.17-11 source provided by Ubuntu, I'm now
> trying to fakeroot make_monolithic, or fakeroot make_netboot.
>
> Netboot gives:
>   openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb: Depends: openoffice.org-common (>=
> 2.0.4~rc3) but it is not going to be installed or
>                                       language-support-en but it is not
> going to be installed

This sort of thing usually happens if your build environment is broken
in some way. In Edgy and earlier, there was also a problem in zlib that
meant that if the dependency tree on your host system was "too
complicated" then apt would get hopelessly confused and d-i would fail
to build. I fixed this in Feisty, but you don't want to mess with
backporting that to Edgy - it will likely just make things even less
stable.

I would suggest building in a chroot with just the base system and the
build-dependencies you need, where it should work fine.