help with package installation in Ubuntu kickstart

Rohit Kumar Mehta rohitm at engr.uconn.edu
Tue Jun 26 17:36:55 BST 2007

Hi guys, I am still fighting with getting certain packages to install in
a noninteractive kickstart.

It does a wonderful job at getting all the basics right for our
different machines (most hardware, the partioning and X work great!)
which is why I want to use it.  However I am having some trouble getting
our customizations working. The only way I know how to work around this
is with an ugly hack, that is to put my finish script in
/etc/rc2.d/S99_one_time_script.sh and make it rm itself and reboot when
finished.

I can install most packages fine via the %packages directive in my
ks.cfg, however certain packages like krb5-user are not found.  I tried
including "universe" with the following:
preseed --owner base-config apt-setup/universe boolean true
url --url http://aptmania.engr.uconn.edu/mirror/ubuntu
but I still see in syslog "Package krb5-user has no installation candidate"

In /target/etc/apt/sources.list.apt-setup, universe is included
but /target/etc/apt/sources.list contains only:
deb cdrom:[...feisty...]/ feisty main restricted

I tried ignoring the %packages option and kickstart finish script.  I
simply wget'ed the sources.list I wanted, and ran a bunch of apt-get
commands.  However, for some reason I cannot get it to install packages
noninteractively however.  I tried setting the DEBIAN_FRONTEND variable,
modifying /etc/debconf, and modifying /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf, but
none of these seem to make any difference from the installer.

If theirs any way to get our packages installed (like krb5-user) through
the kickstart process, I'd love to do it that way.  If not, I suppose
I should be able to get everything working through a one time script
which runs on first boot.

Thanks for all the great work on Ubuntu and any advice you can provide!

Rohit