How to get multiple crypted partitions?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Mon Dec 17 21:54:51 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 12:44:25PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install with multiple crypted partitions with gutsy
> alternate install CD.  This is what I have done in the partitioner
> so far:
>
>    partition type    mountpoint
>
>    sda1      ext3    /media/suse
>    sda2      ext3    /media/suse-home
>    sda3      crypto  (sda3_crypt)
>    sda4      ext3    # not used
>    sda5      crypto  not active
>    sda6      crypto  not active
>

> As I selected sda3 to be a "physical volume for encryption", it appeared
> automatically as a separate disk where I can choose its mount point.
>
> But sda5 and sda6 don't change the state from "not active" to "(sdaX_crypt)"
> and are therefore not available in the "configure crypted volumes" menu.
>
> How do I force the state change from "not active" to "(sdaX_crypt)"?

I think I found what the problem is.

As shown above, I have created three crypted partitions (sda3, sda5
and sda6).

The first time I enter the "configure crypted partitions" menu, I am
asked whether I am sure to format sda2 (since I have marked it for
formatting) I am then asked to enter the passphrase for sda3 and thrown
out of this menu into partitioners main menu (this is what confused me).

Then I enter that menu again and I am asked whether I am sure to format
sda3.  Then, I am asked for the passphrase for sda5.  Now I am thrown
back again into the main menu.

I repeat this loop a third time with formatting sda5 and passphrase for
sda6.

I was confused by the fact that the second iteration asked to format sda3,
which I already provided the passphrase for in the very first iteration.

I find it very irritating to be thrown out into partitioners main menu
over and over again.  This irritation is amplified by the fact that if
one enters the menu again, the first question is to format the partition
which the passphrase was provided for before you were thrown back into
main menu.  This left me with the impression that I was thrown back to
main menu because something very serious failed.