Wubi developer would be interested in helping with developing the installer tool in Gutsy

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 23 18:43:26 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 05:12:13PM -0700, Geza Kovacs wrote:
> Hello, I'm a developer of the Windows-based Ubuntu Installer (Wubi), and
> would be interested in helping out with the Installer-For-Windows
> planned for Gutsy. Do you have some kind of mailing list or other place
> where the development code is hosted, so that I can submit patches and
> keep track of development?

Ubuntu installer development discussion takes place in two locations.
There's #ubuntu-installer on the Freenode IRC network and the
ubuntu-installer mailing list on lists.ubuntu.com, which I'm CC'ing this
email to, I hope you don't mind.

By the way, I recieved your status request on Jabber, which I've
approved, but feel free to send it again if I don't show up.  I don't
trust Pidgin.

> In particular, I'd be interested in working on the tool to transfer the
> loopmounted installs to a dedicated partition and resize the loopmounted
> partitions, since I've already developed such a tool at
> https://launchpad.net/lvpm that implements those features. Is there
> anybody who is already working on that portion? Of course, my current
> code is rather hackish (shell script and zenity), and was developed for
> Wubi-generated installs, though I could easily rewrite it to work with
> the Windows-based installer tool in Gutsy and clean up or rewrite the
> code to be in line with Canonical's standards.

As I recall, the migration path we had planned on was updating
migration-assistant to be loop-mounted install aware, though I did not
have the time this release cycle to implement that.  I'm sure the option
of migrating the actual partition is a route we can consider as well,
however I am confused as to where you would like to insert this in the
install process, and also believe that other developers may take issue
with this method, though I may be wrong on that, so I invite you to
elaborate on your goals and others to step forward and voice their
concerns.

Thanks,
Evan