[ubuntu-in] Out of control fan on Thinkpad x 220

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:34:31 UTC 2016

the probability is that it is a malfunctioning fan ?

The temperatures are usually on the lower side - am in a cool place with
low ambient temperatures and rarely do the temperatures get very high

the fan seems to rev to high speed as soon as the core temperatures touch
48, funnily the fan speed shows below 2000 rpm at this this stage

as soon as the temperatures cross 50 the rev starts up

from the time i cold start the laptop, there is only a small fraction of
the time that the laptop runs silent

I guess it needs some fan cleaning, some cooling paste

thanks
ram