[ubuntu-in] regarding Java JRE versus openjdk

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:16:12 UTC 2014

Hi

Am trying to run an 'official' income tax java file
available here - https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/

tis requires the official oracle / sun java software
it says that the version i have currently installed (openjdk-7-jre)
(openjdk-7 (7u55-2.4.7-1ubuntu1~0.13.10.1)) is not compatible

the exact message is

> "This application requires a newer version of the Java runtime. Please
> download and install the latest Java runtime from java.com. Then restart
> the application."

and the install now options leads me here
http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en

***
originally the IT authorities only had an excel spreadsheet to use (which
because of the complicated macros did not work on libre / open office)

Now they have Java and the propreitory one at that.

**
My simple two questions therefore are -

One - how does installing the proprietory Java affect the linux system

Two - is there an updated openjdk version what will do the same job ??

thanks