[ubuntu-in] bumblebee on Ubuntu 12.10 on Dell XPS L502X

Alok Singh Mahor alokmahor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 18:39:14 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,
today I tried to install bumblebee on Ubuntu 12.10 on Dell XPS L502X,
because I am facing few problem like problem of overheating and fan that
runs continuously.

I followed the post https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
and install with the command (
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends bumblebee linux-headers-generic
)

but I am not able to use bumbebee.
from the same post I tried to run optirun firefox but I am getting error

[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) [drm] Could not set
DRM device bus ID

should I use NVIDIA <http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html>'s
proprietary driver? many people on different forums are suggesting not to
use proprietary drivers otherwise laptop will not boot properly.

please tell me how to make bumblebee work ? or any other ways to sort out
heating and fan problem.
I am showing you output of lspsci -v at http://paste.ubuntu.com/5713940/

thank you