[ubuntu-in] Looking for a Ubuntu Linux Compatible GSM Mobile phone (phone modem)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 14:52:21 UTC 2012

Part 2 - reply to Saurav's mail

> For balance etc, I insert the SIM to my phone and check them. Also, there
> is an app in Ubuntu Software Center called Modem Manager that allows you to
> check balance and send USSD requests, SMS etc while data card is attached
> with your PC. I havent used it so cant say if it works good or not.

Aha - - well the software is called prepaid manager (available in the
repos) and quite simply it does not work ? modemmanager is built into the
network manager and does not really provide any options. Infact India is
not even an option - so there is no way to get that data - i tried thinking
of adding the info (as suggested by the software) but it seemed a bit
beyond my skills.

**
To give a concrete example of prepaid pain in data cards

Most of the popular gsm providers have internet data packs - *none* of them
have an sms code by which one can get to know the existing balance. The
*only* way to figure out the balance is to use the internet a bit and wait
for a usage  message to pop back.

I use an idea sim - and even after using the "official" software on windows
- and using the net - the usage message *does not appear*

Next - to recharge  , online , an idea sim  - one must receive an sms code
on the sim card to be recharged - and on a data card there is no way to do
that.

If there are error messages - there is no way one can receive them on a
data card + Linux

Idea has provided linux software - of course it most probably does not work
- its paste binned here (http://paste.ubuntu.com/1211154/) for reference .
I tried to install it as per the info provided, and the error messages are
strange to say the least - and a small glance at the code reveals some
mistakes that even  a non coder like me can see - its basically crap which
they put in to possibly get some brownie points - look boss linux also - hah

I have , ( rather had until we went for a dunk in a fish pond) , a Nokia e
51 - which worked superbly as a modem as well as a phone - getting all my
messages etc - and while long term use was a small  a pain - it was worth
some of that aggravation - so am willing to switch between data card and
phone as long as the phone gives me the data infor i need.

thanks again
ram
--
Ram