[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu 12.04 on Macbook Pro 5,1

Swarup dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 7 12:10:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 18:05 +0530, Linux Lingam wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Swarup <dinbandhu at sprynet.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 13:07 +0530, Linux Lingam wrote:
> >> I'm still struggling to install Ubuntu 12.04, which is supposed to be
> >> supported for 5 years.
> >
> > I have a MBP 5,2, and am hesitating to even attempt the 12.04
> > installation for the same reason. But I have recently gotten a new imac
> > for our home office, and installed Parallels on it. You may already be
> > familiar with Parallels-- it is probably the most widely used software
> > these days for running operating systems virtually in OSX. I am using
> > both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 virtually on OSX, via Parallels. [snip]
>
> i am aware of parallels and other virtualization technologies.
> i need low-latency, native install, dual-boot.
> should have mentioned that.

I am currently using that very setup on my MBP 5,2 (dual boot, OSX &
Ubuntu). I use Ubuntu 9.04 and it works great! When something works
great, then what is the need to change. If you are having trouble
installing 12.04, then just install an old version of Ubuntu. Mine is
9.04; it is Ubuntu and it works fantastic. You could put a slightly
newer version if you wish; after all, they are all Ubuntu and they all
offer the same essential features.

Swarup