[ubuntu-in] dpkg cache is corrupted

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:03:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Today I've installed okular on my ubuntu 11.10 , installation failed !!!
> now whenever I try to install/uninstall any software I got the following[1]
> error,  it looks like the dpkg cache is corrupted
> so I've tried to rebuild it using " sudo dpkg --configure -a" but I'm
> getting the same error as[1]
>
> [1] http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1464142
>
> can anyone spot-light on it ????

Check lines 240-245. Looks like an archive skew of multiarch packages.
Archive skew happens when buildd takes more time than expected (or
there is a build failure) so arch:all package is of higher version but
arch:any package is not. In this case the problem is between two
architectures (i386 and amd64).

You should wait for a day or two in case its not caused by build
failure but just build delay. Then try refreshing the package list.
By the way looking at package version it seems you have
oneiric-proposed enabled.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.