[ubuntu-in] Having problem with read only disks ? How to change it ?

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 06:35:28 UTC 2012

Hi Navdeep

Any heads up on your problem ? if so let us know.

My suggestions are inline

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Navdeep Singh Sidhu <
navdeepsingh.sidhu95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> recently i had installed many tools on my ubuntu 11.10 like gparted ,
> oracle 11g xe, & other many more. but i'm facing problem like read only
> disks with other partition which have ntfs file system.
> i can't save my files on them or write any data to them.

Are the devices on your onboard hard disk (s) or on external devices.
Can you list out each device and their partition type .

It seems you can see the files ? is that correct, secondly can you copy
them ?

> Have i changed any kernel parameters or any group policy accidently etc
> ?Can some body help me regarding isssue?
> How to fix it?
>
> Depending on the type of HD (external or a partition) it is possible than
some unintended change has taken place in the permisssions and / or the
type of formatting system used

* Some times if the disk has been used on a non linux / non MS system (like
a MAC OS) it may try to change the formatting system (make it non msdos),
which is differnt from the file system, (Ntfs, fat, ext3 ext4 etc)

Have you tried accessing the files as root - if do the preventive
permissions still persist.

To access as root use this command
-$ sudo nautilus

then navigate to the said partitions and see if they still have the
features locked.

If you can access as root the problem will be different. And a temporary
solution is to run
-$ sudo chmod 777 /foo/device/ -R

this will allow all users to access the files. However read up on the
permissions and you may want to use something else other than 777 (which is
" read, write access to all")

**
If you can't still have full access to the files as root then check what
type of formatting system has been used (if its different from msdos which
is the usual default). If it is different you may need to first copy ? back
up all your files and do a reformat of the HD in question.

ram

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards
> Navdeep Singh