[ubuntu-in] How to connect to internet using multimedia phone

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 14:23:29 UTC 2012

Hi

Am not sure this is the answer you are looking for but just to bump this
thread and give you some leads

My understanding is that when connecting a phone to the internet is easy
but enabling another device to connect through the phone to the internet is
hard. This requires the phone to act as a modem so some questions
1. Is you phone enaled to provide "a modem" type facility to connect to the
net. What does the manual say ?
2. How does the phone connect to the computer (excluding bluetooth and
infrared)
2.1 when you connect it run this command (about 20 seconds after
connecting) and post the details

promptfoo ~ $ dmesg

3. Does this facility work in other OS (like window$ etc) if so what
software / programme / method is used.

Last - not having heard of this phone - am curious is this some high end
phone or one of the chinese fast jobs, many of the cheaper phones advertise
connecting to the net "via" the phone but in reality it does not work
period.

ram

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Swarup Bhai <swarup.bhai1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an EeePC netbook, and in Sringeri Karnataka. I have a multimedia
> phone (brand Ken Xin Da), and need to know how to get on the internet by
> connecting the phone to the netbook. The netbook has 3 USB ports, but no
> bluetooth. Perhaps I may need to download some software in order to get
> online. I tried just connecting the phone to the usb port, but nothing
> happened.
>
> cheers,
> Swarup

Ram