[ubuntu-in] An alternative to Gnome 3

Muneeb Shaikh iammuneeb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:08:49 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 05:55 PM, Sriranga(78yrsold) wrote:
> Thank you offer of help and guidance.
> Is it possible to install within the winXP. I had installed ubuntu 11.10
> within WinXP. It is presumed cinnamon only replaced the existing ubuntu
> installed thro' winXP?

Well you didn't mention how you have installed it within Win XP, like
installed with Wubi or installed in Virtual Machine (using Virtual Box,
KVM, VMware etc).
- If you have installed it using Wubi, then I have no experience of it,
may be someone other on ML can throw light on this. As I have never
installed Ubuntu using Wubi.
- If you have installed it in VirtualBox, and if you have quite recent
and decent system then I hope it'll work in your VBox. Though there'll
be some lag, but it'll work.
-

> I had installed tesseract-ocr in the ubuntu which
> will not be dislocated for  installing cinnamon.
> With choicest Blessings,
> -sriranga(79yrs)

I can't say for sure if you have installed it using Wubi, but if it's in
Virtual Machine, then your software/app won't be removed.

Again, Cinnamon will not replace your existing Desktop Environment, but
it'll add an option at Login Screen to choose between Unity and Cinnamon.

-- Muneeb Shaikh