[ubuntu-in] usage of Libreoffice.

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:16:12 UTC 2012

Dear Sir

Am sorry for this long delay, some how the mail missed my view and came
across is just now.

Will try and help a bit, though the best results do come from the Ubuntu
List itself (which is marked  here)

**As far as how to enable a Kannada Dictionary / spell please see inline
below your original mail:**

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Sriranga(78yrsold) <withblessings at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Ram,
> I am newbie to libreoffice. switched from windows MSword.
> I am using for Kannada lang. In this context will you kindly guide me how
> to use
> abc-Spellchecking for my lang - step by step. I have installed dic-kn in
> the libreoffice
> folder.
> I seek valuable guidance for the following points =
>
> 1) How to add the  user.dic file in which I have added many required words
> manually.
> 2) It is observed that there is standard.dic in the spell checker - how to
> use it effectively
> I mean adding required words and delete unwanted words. - whether
> standard.dic
> can retrieved from the libre.office - since I could not locate
> "standard.dic" is stored/
> installed.
>
> You have to get the dictionary from
http://libreoffice-na.us/Spanish/extensions.html (you may already have this
the file should have an extension called .oxt) - remember where you have
downloaded the extensions

Then open a libreoffice writer document and go to Tools -> Extension
Manager.
Once this is open it will give you at the bottom an "add" button - click on
this and add the .oxt extension file,. You will have to accept the license
agreement before it allows you to proceed

Next keep libreoffice writer open and go to Tools - Options - Languages
and"enhanced language support" here  enable CTL (right at the bottom)

Once CTL (Complex Text Layout ) is enabled then have to enable CTL layout
go a bit above to default languages and select (in front of the CTL option
from the downward menu the language of your choice)

To know if that language has a dictionary installed check for a ABC with a
Check mark , if the language occurs without that it means no dictionary of
that sort exists.

After this close *all* libreoffice documents and restart openoffice writer
- mistype a word in your chosen language and if the mistyped word comes up
with a red wavy underline it means you have been successful in setting up
your (kannada) language dictionary and spell checker

You also have to ensure that in your main Libreoffice tool bar there are
two icons, A blue tick / check mark under  ABC characters, one of them has
a red wavy line under, this has to be enabled, when enabled it shows up
with a border and the blank areas get filled with blue (or your theme color)

Hope this works

--
Ram