[ubuntu-in] unable to format pendrive

Aditya Muley adityamuley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:34:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM, shuhaib k <shuhaibk54 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But thre is no problem with mounting and remounting only problem with
> formating.After formatting also all the content of the pendrive has
> been not deleted .I used many command like shred,swipe ....But no use
> ...please help me
>
> On 1/30/12, shuhaib k <shuhaibk54 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My SD-Card also have same problem ,please some one help me make it as
> > usable..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shuhaib
> >
> > On 1/30/12, Alok Singh Mahor <alokmahor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I got a pendrive from friend that is periodically mounting and
> unmounting
> >> itself.
> >> when I plugin it into my laptop its auto mounting as all other pendrives
> >> without any error. but after about 10 seconds it gets unmounted
> >> automatically and then remounted again.
> >> I am able to delete files without any error but after some time it gets
> >> remounted again and showing all files as it is even deleted files.

IF the device shows all files even after deleted, it is because after
deleting the files stay in thrash folder.
Empty thrash after deleting from pen derive.
Let me know if that solves your problem of deleted files showing on
pendrive.

> >> I am unable to format as device gets unavailable
> >> suggest me how can I make this pendrive usable?
> >>
> >> output of dmesg of my freshly booted laptop is here
> >> http://paste.ubuntu.com/821961/
> >> output of dmesg after inserting pendrive is here
> >> http://paste.ubuntu.com/821976/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alok Singh Mahor
> >> http://alokmahor.co.cc
> >> Join the next generation of computing, Open Source and Linux/GNU!!

Aditya A. Muley
Industrial Design Manager
Design Core India Pvt. Ltd.