[ubuntu-in] Red Hat engineer renews attack on Windows 8-certified secure boot

mohi mohanchml at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 27 07:08:12 UTC 2011

Hi Ram,

The community has not talked anything regarding this issue. But The members
like me, who like to have some advocacy, talked with some of the friends and
I got some points.

1) There is the possibility that you can disable the secured boot and so you
can boot Linux in the machine.
2) In the talk, they also told that Windows peeps have done some
contribution to the Linux community and other stuff.

But the point 1 is kind of okay for now. But none knows about the future.

We, the users, are still waiting for the proper path of where this is going
to lead.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> See the troubling article, linked and pasted below.
>
> Am sure that in time there will be a work around, but meanwhile it is
> troublesome,
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Does Ubuntu have any comments / responses to this ?
>
> ram
>
> PS - the first mail with the entire article bounced, so am reposting with
> only some of the article, the rest will have to be read online
>
> Red Hat engineer renews attack on Windows 8-certified secure boot
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/uefi_linux_lock_out_row_latest/
>
>  A senior Red Hat engineer has lashed back at Microsoft's attempt to
> downplay concerns<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/23/ms_denies_uefi_lock_in/>that upcoming secure boot features will make it impossible to install Linux
> on Windows 8 certified systems.
>
> Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI <http://www.uefi.org/home>)
> specifications are designed to offer faster boot times and improved security
> over current BIOS ROM systems. The secure boot feature of the specification
> is designed so that only digitally signed OS loaders will load, a security
> feature that would prevent the installation of generic copies of Linux or
> FreeBSD as well as preventing rootkits and other boot-time malware from
> running.
>
> A digitally signed build of Linux would work, but that would mean
> persuading OEMs to include the keys. Disabling the feature would allow
> unsigned code to run. However, it is unclear how many OEMs and firmware
> vendors will follow this route, which isn't required for Windows 8
> certification.
>
> The forthcoming secure boot feature has created a huge row with computer
> scientists, such as Ross Anderson of Cambridge University (here<http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2011/09/20/trusted-computing-2-0>),
> and open-source developers who accuse Microsoft of pushing lock-in and
> decreasing consumer choice. Microsoft responded<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx>by saying consumers would continue to control their PC and cited the example
> of one OEM, Samsung, which is including a "disable secure boot" feature on
> prototype versions of its tablet PC.
> <Article Snipped here>
>
> --
> Ram