[ubuntu-in] Fwd: How to install using apt-get from local .deb files without Internet OR how to bypass sudo apt-get update

Narendra Sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Mon May 9 17:17:55 UTC 2011

I recently created a offline installer..  debbundle..
I got a bug in it..
Let me explain the process..

See code ->
http://code.google.com/p/debbundle/source/browse/trunk/OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator?spec=svn10&r=10

To install vim-gtk, I am first downloading all deb package (and not
installing it.)

mkdir -p vim-gtk
mkdir -p vim-gtk/partial
sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=./vim-gtk install --download-only
vim-gtk
sudo rm vim-gtk/lock

Now I am copying this folder and another system which do not have Internet..

so on system 2, I am running following commands..

cd /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk
sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=/media/usbdrive/vim-gtk install
vim-gtk

This is not installing vim-gtk on second system which is just freshly
installed.

Initially when I created this project few days back, I was using same
machine as build-server and install-test server. SO i was not getting this
error//

Source of Error : basically, a freshly installed system do not have -- sudo
apt-get update
If I run sudo apt-get update command then I command will work..
So basically, on a freshly installed system one has to apply "sudo apt-get
install update" in order to install some package. How I can bypass this
because my second machine do not have Internet.

Let me know if anybody want any more clarity.

PS: I am forwarding this to OSCOntrib mailing list so that people can create
something similar for yum..
--
│    Narendra Sisodiya

--