[ubuntu-in] Is anyone using Ubuntu Tweak

Manish Sinha mail at manishsinha.net
Sun Mar 20 15:34:24 UTC 2011

On 03/20/2011 08:45 PM, Stereotactic wrote:
> Oh, very informative! Thats why Ubuntu developers are not very keen with
> the idea of anything that "improves" Ubuntu. One more thing. If you look
> closely, their only argument against Ubuntu Tweak is "lack of security".
> So be it. People more knowledgeable than me are better placed than me to
> comment on the same.

Not on "lack of security" but "posing a security" risk. As Scott
Kitterman mentions that it adds a bunch of"third-party untrusted repos".
This is a bad move to have a package in official repo which adds
untrusted repos.

It is not that Ubutnu devs don't want to improve Ubuntu, but there
needs a line to be drawn. Ubuntu Tweak exposes a few features which
should be *mostly* hidden from non-technical users. If something
goes wrong, then they wont be able to guess what actually happened.

--
Manish