[ubuntu-in] Mozilla India Launch party

Stereotactic maillist at postinbox.com
Sat Mar 12 07:01:05 UTC 2011

These are great suggestions; however there is something more that needs
to be done:

1) Mainstream media is still the dominant channel and if you plan for
the "maximum exposure", it needs to be engaged effectively with the web
campaign. It cannot be wished away and specifically the regional media
needs to be tapped.

This should also focus on localized flavor of the browser. Most of the
users are intimidated with English language and I would suggest that
regional flavor of browser should be stressed on with menu options in
regional languages.

2) Screencasts are a desirable option; again with the 'overlay of
regional flavor'. For example, there is bound to be one person from each
state in planned activity in Bangalore! One easy way out can be
prepration of a "universal document" which can be translated in
different languages. This would ensure a uniformity of approach and
eliminate any confusion whatsoever.

3) One of the most understated developments in Government sector has
been a gradual shift to Open Source applications. Can there be some
means where a pop up notification or start screen be modified to notify
the users of a new version? This would be a major chunk of users who are
likely to extend the same to their personal use also.

4) It takes a load of marketing effort and I would suggest setting up a
central agency to direct these efforts and more regular posting of the
efforts on the mailing lists. This would help to fine tune the
suggestions and adapt to the responses garnered.

To be honest, I am only a recent convert to FF 4 and truly happy to see
the strides made to stabilize the browser with significant gains in
performance. Apart from this all, the customizability of Firefox needs
to be stressed for slghtly "advanced users" because they are the ones
willing to experiment. Of course, the hardware acceleration for truly
geeky as well as the Firefox Sync options for desktop and mobile versions.

5) One suggestion (or idea). Can there be some sort of extension
developed that changes the "language menu" of the browser? For example,
on default base installation, a "specific language pack/extension" be
downloaded, the default search engine changed to say Google Hindi or
Tamil or Kannada? This would ease the use for majority of the users.
This better be a "re-startless option developed on Jetpack"!!

Please feel free to cross post (I am doing it on Ubuntu India List) and
add to the suggestions on different mailing lists.

Three cheers to Open Source!!